0

I have a spare OnePlus One that I use for home automation stuff (RM Plugin, Tasker, etc.) I leave it plugged in all the time. Sometimes the phone does get quite hot. Just today, wanting to do more Tasker stuff with it, I noticed that the screen popped out a bit, guessing due to battery swelling.

I'm basically confused what causes what between:

  • Leaving the phone plugged in all the time
  • App power management (like sometimes screen was left on, etc.)
  • High temp
  • Battery swell

Also, would it be possible to continue using the OnePlus?

Thanks!

  • I want to use an android phone for similar stuff too. The best solution would be to use the device with battery removed or a device that is designed to work only plugged in to electricity, which doesn't have a battery. Anyone knows about such solutions? – mnd May 22 at 10:52
  • Saw some DIY stuff involving removing old battery terminal and connecting it to a regulated voltage supply. – Art May 22 at 10:53
  • I saw some of them too, but not all were successful. I wonder if there are any cheap devices that don't have a battery in the first place. They would serve well as (almost) always on wall mounted displays, or could be used in cars for example. – mnd May 22 at 11:45
0

You can leave the phone plugged in. Modern phones have advanced charging electronics, that should prevent overcharging and similar problems.

But when the battery is swelling, you should not continue using the phone. It may start to burn or explode. When you still have seller's warranty, use it. Otherwise I would still buy a new one as soon as possible. Defect batteries can be dangerous.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.