I am trying to change a contact's photo under my Motorola Moto Z2 Play / Android 8.0.0 (Security Patch July 2019):
Contacts > 🔍 (find a contact) > 🖉 (edit contact) > 📸 (change photo) > Select new photo
and I am hit with an error saying:
No pictures are available on the device.
I don't understand this situation, because:
- I have dozens of photos and pictures on this device, in "DCIM", "Pictures" and others,
- I can change widget's icon without any problem (my launcher allows this),
- I've been changing contacts' photos many times on this device.
- I've managed to change contact's photo on other devices and Android versions (A9 and One),
- I don't think this is due to SAF (details: here and here), because I am still on A8, not A10.
Since I did this last time a couple of months / maybe a year ago. The only thing that comes to my mind is that I did this last time under old, good Android 7.1.2. And the recent update to Android 8.0.0 maybe messed up something.
I have tried putting new photo into every folder that came to my mind:
- Pictures/Contacts (I've been using this one for years).
All for nothing. Always seeing this damn message.
I even went as far as:
- Contacts > 🔍 (find a contact) > 🖉 (edit contact) > 📸 (change photo) > Take new photo,
- capture some test image,
- use it,
- see, where it is stored (turned out that in: DCIM/Camera, as expected),
- remove it,
- try again using "Select new photo".
My phone went as wako as allowing me to change the photo of one of contacts in the first place (i.e. after using "Take new photo"), stored it in DCIM/Camera folder and when I tried to use the very same photo from the very same folder, but using "Select new photo" instead, it again claimed that I have no pictures in this device).
Can anyone help me? How to workaround this problem? How to change contact's photo in A8?