I recently bought a new Alba 10" tablet, along with a 32GB microSD card to boost the storage.
My problem is that the SD card isn't functioning as I would expect.
The expected behaviour
- If I insert the card when the tablet is already switched-on I see a "Preparing SD card" notification message, which subsequently disappears.
- If I remove the card when the tablet is already switched-on I get an "SD card removed unexpectedly: Unmount SD card before removing to avoid data loss" notification message.
- The card appears in the tablet's built-in file browser (and other apps I've tried) as a 29.79GB SD card and it appears to work normally (creating/deleting files and folders etc).
The unexpected behaviour
When the SD card is present the Settings->Storage screen only shows the tablet's internal storage, exactly the same as when the card is not present. This has a few undesirable effects:
- I can't unmount the card to avoid the notification mentioned in "expected" behaviour 2, above.
- I can't change the default write disk. This means that I can't, for example, save photos from the camera app directly to the card.
- I can't move any apps to the SD card.
Some other points that may or may not be relevant
- The tablet is running Android 5.0.1 and doesn't appear to have any major customisations.
- The card is a Samsung EVO 32GB microSDHC, bought from a reputable retailer and delivered in sealed packaging, so I'm about as sure as I can be that it's not counterfeit.
- I've tried the card in my PC and it appears to behave normally. I've also tried reformatting it on the PC before retrying in the tablet, with no change in the tablet's behaviour.
And here are my questions...
- Is the described behaviour truly unexpected or is it my own expectations that are wrong?
- If this is known behaviour then is there some way to make the SD card show up on the Settings->Storage screen?
- If this isn't known behaviour then is there anything else I should try in an attempt to diagnose and/or fix the problem?
- Does it really matter if the problem can't be resolved? Is it likely to be safe to use the card purely as file storage, even if it can't be made to appear on the Settings->Storage screen?