I'm using Cyanogen Mod 10.1 and I wonder if there is any possibility to use Google Play without installing all Google apps. I don't need Gmail, Talk, etc. I don't want to link my device to google. Is there any way to just put in your Google account data for Google Play and not for the whole device?

  • 1
    I don't want to link my device to google means you cannot use Google Play either, sorry. There are alternatives, of course − but not with a repository as big as Google Play.
    – Izzy
    Aug 23, 2013 at 15:22
  • @Izzy is correct, all of the google apps will automatically pair with your google account if you sync your google account with your device.
    – John
    Aug 23, 2013 at 15:24
  • I found myself an answer: forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1918484 Now only Google Play is installed without Gmail, Talk, ... but I had to link my phone anyway to Google.
    – arminb
    Aug 23, 2013 at 15:56
  • 1
    It is possible to install just the play store without the rest of the Gapps stuff. See Minimal set of .apk files to enable Google Play.
    – Compro01
    Aug 23, 2013 at 15:58
  • @Compro01 sure it is. But that doesn't change a thing concerning the device being "linked", which the OP wants to avoid.
    – Izzy
    Aug 23, 2013 at 17:43

1 Answer 1


I would imagine that Google Play is not reliant on the other apps like Maps, Talk or Hangout. Just to be safe though, here is what I would recommend:

  • Create a full system backup of phone
  • Delete any apps that you don't want and see if they affect your usage
  • If any apps affected your usage, restore your device and do not delete those apps.

Remember that it is always better to make a backup and not need it, than to need a backup and not have one =)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .