When I'm in Japan or China, there are barely any European alphabet and I want to use my camera to take a photo of a sign and convert it into English language. Is it possible to achieve that?

  • Really? Everywhere I went in Japan last year the signs were bilingual. – Dan Hulme Dec 7 '13 at 15:11
  • It depends om what place in Japan Most famous place has both language but all places. Strongly believe that it will be a standard in the future.' – What'sUP Dec 7 '13 at 15:50
  • Do you know any app for it? – What'sUP Dec 7 '13 at 15:50
  • As far as I remember, Google Goggles lists this among its features. – Izzy Dec 7 '13 at 18:52

You can use Google Translate app, you can take photos which contain texts using the app and it'll detect it and translate it.

| improve this answer | |

Although the Google Translate app should take care of you in some cases, it doesn't always function properly in China. Straight text conversion (not images) tends to work in most cases for me, but when I use the updated app and attempt to use local images or ones that I take at the time of translation (two options) it tends to give out a server error. Of course, there's also the option to "write" it in yourself now so maybe you would be willing to give that a shot too.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.